Celebrity Hair Extension care 101
At Celebrity Extensions our goal is to create beautiful hair using hair extensions, and this includes teaching our clients how to properly care for their new hair extensions. Each type of hair extension has it’s own requirements for optimal maintenance and beauty, and if instructions are followed carefully, your hair extensions can last for six months to a year. However, if your hair extensions are improperly cared for, you can cause damage to the hair extensions as well as your own hair. The following is general information on caring for your hair extensions so that you can keep both your hair extensions and natural hair happy and healthy!
1. Before washing your hair extensions, be sure to brush the hair with a Tangle Teaser Brush and remove all tangles. Always brush from the bottom working your way up, while holding the sections that you are brushing to prevent any pulling on the scalp. This short step is useful in preventing knots that can be locked in from the water. If the hair tangles unmanageably please contact your Celebrity Extension Specialist before trying to detangle or using any products.
2. The extensions hair, as well as your own, needs to be conditioned and moisturized. The shampoo and conditioner we highly recommend is Crème of Nature. We also recommendInfusium 23 Leave-In Conditioning Treatment as your detangler to be used right after showering (be sure to keep product away from the actual bonds and tracks). If you choose to use other products, please consult your Celebrity Extension Specialist before use.
3. When washing the hair, ALWAYS wash in a downward motion. Do NOT mix the hair all together and create unnecessary tangles. Use your fingers in a horizontal motion between rows to clean your scalp, and when rinsing, do the same to assure that all the shampoo and conditioner residues are washed out.
4. Washing your hair more than four times a week can shorten the life span of your hair. Both your extension’s hair and your natural hair will be healthier with fewer washes. Be sure to gently towel dry hair by squeezing out the excess water. Avoid bunching the hair in the towel, as this can cause damage.
5. Conditioning the hair is mandatory to your hair’s maintenance; however, it IS possible to over condition the hair. Some signs that the hair is over conditioned are tangling and brittleness. If this does occur, your best recourse is to use a clarifying shampoo, no more than once a month. For product recommendations, please contact your Celebrity Extension Specialist.
6. Styling products create build up and should be used as infrequently as possible. Build up can make the hair dry out and tangle, so use a moisturizer every time you wash your hair to avoid this problem.
7. HEAT is your hair’s biggest enemy. Although the hair extensions are 100% virgin Remy hair, it is not receiving nutrients from the scalp like your own hair. The more heat you use, the shorter the life span of your hair. We cannot guarantee that the hair will remain silky if you excessively use a blow dryer, flat iron or curling iron. If you must use heat, be sure to use as little as possible.
8. When sleeping, you MUST braid, wrap, or ponytail your hair to prevent tangling. NEVER go to bed with wet hair, and NEVER wear your hair down while swimming in the pool or ocean, secure it in a tight braid to prevent tangling.
Following these steps when caring for your hair will ensure that your hair, as well as the extension hair, will stay healthy and beautiful. Of course, should you have any questions on the care of your hair extensions that was not answered here, feel free to ask your Celebrity Extension Specialist, we are always happy to help!